Deadline: open until the position will be filled.
Starting date: 19 April.
The Italian Coalition for Civil Liberties and Rights (CILD in Italian) is the first multi-issue human-rights organization of this kind based in Italy and one of the fastest growing advocacy coalitions in Europe. Since its launch in 2014, the initial group of 13 founders has grown to 34 national NGOs covering a wide range of human rights issues.
We bring together like-minded civil society organizations around policy priorities and we design and implement advocacy and communication strategies in order to have a greater impact on public debate and policy-making process. We do so by connecting Italian NGOs with local and international organizations and key practitioners, harnessing the potential of digital media for public education, lobbying the government and undertaking strategic legal action.
We are looking for a senior editor for its Open Migration project. Since its launch in December 2015 Open Migration has established itself as a source of valuable information, data, analysis and storytelling on refugee and migrant issues, with a particular focus on Europe. It now aims to increase engagement with and expand its audiences, cover a wider range of issues and diversify both distribution channels and formats in order to strengthen its mission to promote a fair and just debate on one of the most controversial issues of our time.
The senior editor will be responsible for:
- Shaping and implementing the content strategy
- Leading and coordinating research and analysis
- Conceiveing, editing and writing stories and data-driven digital content
- Supervising content for social media
- Understanding and expanding our audiences
- Overseeing and editing the work of contributors
- Attending public events and talks
The senior editor will be working closely with the current team which include the director, the communication manager, the creative strategist, the assistant editor & social media manager, and also external consultants and contributors.
- At least 8 years of experience in content creation, editing, content strategy and social media
- Excellent English-language editorial and writing skills.
- Solid editorial and news judgment, and the ability to quickly distill and curate information on deadline.
- A keen eye for detail, documentation and verification.
- Good understanding in the tools of data journalism.
- Solid understanding of distribution channels and formats (from a 140-character tweet to an hour-long documentary) and ability to toggle between formats.
- Good understanding of migration and refugee issues.
- Willing to travel if needed
- Diplomatic manner and ability to interact with different stakeholders and the public
- Sense of humor, enjoying collaborative work with a multicultural and multidisciplinary team in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment (We do not take ourselves too seriously).
Please submit information about yourself and your work, including:
- cover letter;
- resume or CV;
- work samples.
Send your information to [email protected] with the object “Senior Editor – OM”.
Successful applicants will be alerted, with a public announcement to follow.
Open Migration team